Tuesday, December 29, 2009

McNally is down, but thankfully not out

I was surprised this morning to find out that McNally Robinson has declared bankruptcy - less surprised to hear that it's shutting down its Polo Park store. McNally is one of those institutions that you can use as a litmus of Winnipegness. If you remember the McNally outlet at River and Osborne, back in the days when Mary Scorer books still existed, then you're a true Winnipegger! I'm glad they're keeping the Grant Park store open. To me, it functions almost like a community centre rather than a retail space. Sure you can buy books there, but you can also reconnect with an old friend, or cheer on a friend who's launching her first novel, or duck behind a display of travel books to avoid a former friend. I'm sure many a Winnipeg drama has unfolded in the magazine section. Not a bad spot to shoot a guerrilla soap opera à la Ikea Heights. The Polo Park store, may it rest in peace, never had the same auspicious feng shui. If you've ever tried to get a stroller from the mall entrance to the café, you know what I mean.

I have to admit I did a fair amount of shopping at That Other Bookseller this Christmas. I'll have to make a point of actually buying something next time I'm at McNally.

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes. That Other Bookseller is provocative, isn't it? The gift cards and free shipping do me in.

    dineoutwinnipeg.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete