Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Two dates to mark in your calendar


First, mark Sunday, March 21 on your calendar. That's the date of my favorite fundraiser of the year - the annual Over The Top! art auction and cupcake party at MAWA. I love the cheerful buzz as bargain-hungry art-lovers elbow their way past cupcake-laden tables to examine the work and devise their bidding strategies. In past years I've seen photographs by Diana Thorneycroft, prints by tamara rae biebrich and sculpture by Aganetha Dyck. A huge range of artists contribute, from well-known artstars to up-and-comers, so you're bound to fall in love with at least one piece. And with bidding starting at just $50, you can score some serious art deals. A few years ago we sweated out a silent bidding war over a tiny Wanda Koop painting, and emerged triumphant! Our "mini-Koop" now hangs happily in the hall. Over The Top! tickets are $10 and available at 611 Main Street. Or email me and I'll hook ya up.

Drop The Needle is back this month. On February 21, at 7 p.m., you can learn bookbinding from the multi-talented Chantale Maynard. The soundtrack of the evening is provided by organizer and D.J. extraordinaire Mama Cutsworth. See you at the Lo Pub!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I can spot my cupcake in that pic! (The one on top with the orange sprinkles and MAWA flag.)

    Last year's party was SO much fun - I can't wait to take part in this year's. I guess I'd better get working on my contribution for the auction...

    See you there! (ps...love the blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. art and cupcakes! what's not to like
    It will be our third year attending this fascinating bash - great art, pretty food and excellent people watching....

    ReplyDelete