Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Hindsight is 2010

Let me state for the record that I am not generally all rah-rah about the 2010 Olympics. Don't get me wrong, I heart Clara Hughes as much as the next Winnipegger. (I also heart snowboarder and Dancing With The Stars contestant Louie Vito.) But as someone who appreciates the free speech aspect of living in Canada, I was saddened by the fact that, back in November, border officials detained journalist Amy Goodman for ninety minutes, grilling her about whether she would speak about the Olympics.

I am also not generally all rah-rah about McDonald's, for reasons not worth going into here. I just want to note the irony, as I have become totally rah-rah about the McDonald's Happy Meal 2010 Olympic mascot collectibles. There are eight different ones, and each performs a different sport.

My fave is Miga the figure skater. As you wheel her along, she spins. All eight hook together to make a train of Olympic cuteness. I should have started buying them three weeks ago when they were first available. Now the only ones left are Quatchi on the luge, and Sumi playing ice sledge hockey (which I didn't know was a sport).

My big regret is that these little plastic toys, which you could buy for less than 2 bucks if you forego the Happy Meal, are now selling on eBay for $20 each (including shipping). If you were smarter than me and bought the set, you can make a tidy profit online!

No comments:

Post a Comment