Thursday, January 28, 2010

Drop that needle, I say! Drop it...

One of my least favorite high school memories is the time I got carded by a mustachioed bouncer at Times Night Club (across from Eaton's). I must've been 17 at the time and probably looked 12. I had my cousin's ID but Mr. Moustache wouldn't buy it (my real driver's license was clearly visible in my open wallet), so I skulked out. The thing I hate about telling this story is admitting that I ever tried to get in to Times. I blame peer pressure.

Anyway, all that to say I am soooo glad that today in Winnipeg there are much better ways to pass a Saturday night. Case in point: Drop The Needle. This new monthly party series is the brainchild of two Winnipeg D-I-Y divas. Artist Kerri-Lynn Reeves and DJ Mama Cutsworth (a.k.a. Sarah Michaelson) want to give crafters and music fans the chance to D-I-T.

The inaugural party is this Saturday, January 30 at the Lo Pub (330 Kennedy Street). The action kicks off at 8 p.m., with a knitting skills workshop led by artist Kristin Nelson. After that, you can work on your own project while DJ Co-op provides your crafting soundtrack.

According to Sarah, the whole idea is to give creative Winnipeggers an excuse to get out. "Folks from the prairies know that you need to pass the frosty winters with creativity; unfortunately, that usually means hiding away for eight months and knitting in front of the TV every night. Drop The Needle provides crafter types a social environment in which to cultivate handcrafted skills like knitting, embroidery, beading, collage and origami, with a live, hand-spun soundtrack from Winnipeg’s best DJs."

There will be lamps so you can actually see what you're doing, and yes, there will be dancing! Admission is 5 bucks and you are guaranteed to have much more fun than you ever had at Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment